Has anybody died from mosquito bite yet?
If that kind of thought crossed your mind, I should say, this is a very good question. I haven’t heard any of the cases when a mosquito bite would be fatal. But let’s have a clear distinction between a mosquito bite and a bee sting. The first and very important difference is that mosquito does not inject toxins when biting its victim. There is, of course some injection of anticoagulants, but the quantity is so small, that it could hardly be of any danger. Moreover, there are some other kind of biting flies that are much more effective at this.
The red spot (the pimple) that appears after the bite is nothing but the allergic reaction. The allergic reaction is caused by salvia, that mosquito injects into your body when sucking the blood.
If you’re a mosquito or insect bite virgin – meaning that you have never been bitten by a mosquito or its relatives, which I would hardly believe, there is a great possibility, that there will be no allergic reaction for the first time, and the bite area will not itch at all. Or, it will take much more time, probably so long, that you’ll forget about the bite (the time could extend until 2 weeks or even longer). Further bites (later on) will leave itchy bumps, developing allergic reaction within 24-48 hours after the bite.
The reaction to mosquito bite can not be categorized or timely structured, since each and every human body reacts to it differently. There are thousands of factors causing different reactions– starting with the simplest skin sensitivity, and finishing with psychological and/or imaginative ideas about “how bad it can be”.
When talking about bee bites, situation is not as harmless as the one with mosquitoes. The bee stings force an immune to response toward antibody production, favoring the production of antibodies. The production of those antibodies for some people may invoke hypersensitivity and/or anaphylaxis – this is where one could be at risk of swelling to the degree of inability to breathe (local anaphylaxis) or experiencing a sudden drop in blood pressure (anaphylactic shock).
There are a lot of treats for anaphylaxis these days. But once one was primed by that kind of reaction, measures of precaution should be taken.
The human immune system, triggered by a mosquito bite develops completely different reaction to the one when being stung by a bee. Therefore it is hard to believe that mosquito bite could cause anaphylactic shock. Of course, we are not talking about infected mosquitoes or individuals with unusual or genetically different immune system.